Saturday, October 23, 2010

The church at Sardis (Salhalil in Turkish)




We had a rough day today.   The roads are very bad, almost like riding on gravel, there was a lot of construction, a lot of head wind.  Esteban fell yesterday and hurt his calf.  We thought he could ride today, but about 20 minutes into the ride he had to pack it in and ride with the support car due to the pain.  That set me back quite a bit waiting for him and I lost the main pack, so had to go with group B, which was doing less miles.  That turned out to be a good thing in the end, though.  I was not counting on two things: such bad road conditions and the hills.  Florida's version of hills are speed humps!  I rejoined the main group, but due to the hills I really could not keep up with them: they are all very experienced and have done 10-12 of these bike tours.  The straight aways were no problem, but the lost me on the hills so I just rejoined Group B and did 85km and did some sight seeing.  Here I am after climbing my first hill, about 260M (about 940 ft of elevation), Esteban in the support car, and he and I at a ruin next to the palace of the last Lydian king, before the Persians conquered Lydia and killed him.  By the way, Lydia was the first kingdom to actually use coins as money and King Midas from Greek mythology bathed in the rivers of Lydia.

No comments:

Post a Comment